Fathers Day is only 3 days away! I feel like it was just Mother’s Day last weekend! Anyone else feel like that? Time has been flying lately. Anyway, my dad is impossible to buy gifts for, what do you get a man that has everything? It makes things a little tricky. He is the type of guy that if he wants something, he just buys it. So my solution for Fathers Day is to make him all the treats, my dad loves baked goods and is completely happy with a yummy homemade dessert on Fathers Day instead of a gift that he probably won’t even like!
I was trying to come up with a new dessert idea to make him for this weekend and I realized I have yet to share any of my ice cream recipes on here! Such a disgrace because I have a ton of homemade ice cream recipes and it is one of my favorite things to make. Ice cream makers are fairly inexpensive and ice cream is actually super simple to make. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I highly suggest you invest in one! I have been obsessing over everything blueberry lately and wanted to make something cold for Fathers Day since we will be outside barbecuing and we are in the middle of a major heat wave here in Utah. So Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream sounded like the perfect thing to make!
This ice cream starts with a cheesecake base made with half and half, cream cheese, a touch of sour cream and some sugar. It then has a homemade blueberry compote made from fresh blueberries that gets swirled throughout the ice cream. And because cheesecake isn’t complete without a crust, it has a streusel crumble and crushed graham crackers throughout for some added texture. Its creamy, its fruity, its slightly tart, it’s basically just amazing so you should go and make it right now.
Tips & Tricks
- It takes 2 days to make this ice cream, but don’t let that make you think its a lot of work or complicated, the only reason it takes 2 days is because the ice cream base and the blueberry sauce have to chill overnight before churning the ice cream and the ice cream has to freeze for 6-8 hours once you’ve layered all the ingredients. But its simple and super easy to make everything that goes into this recipe
- You can use frozen blueberries if you are unable to get fresh, either way works!
- This ice cream will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 weeks, but good luck making it last that long!
Bluberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 48 hours
- Yield: 6 1x
The perfect summer time dessert. A cheesecake ice cream swirled with a homemade blueberry sauce, a streusel topping and crushed graham crackers. It’s fruity, it’s creamy and a tad bit tart, its the perfect well balanced dessert for those hot summer days.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
Cheesecake Ice Cream Base:
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Graham Cracker Crunch:
- 1 sleeve graham crackers, crushed into quarter sized pieces.
- 1 day before serving, prepare the blueberry sauce. Add the blueberries, lime juice and sugar to a medium sauce pot and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes stirring frequently and smashing down blueberries as they cook.
- At the 15 minute mark add 1 tbsp corn starch and stir until dissolved.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, cover and let refrigerate overnight.
- Next, (also the day before) prepare the ice cream base.
- In a large blender add all ice cream base ingredients.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour into an airtight container, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, add ice cream base to your ice cream maker, and churn according to machine directions.
- Meanwhile prepare the streusel. Combine all dry ingredients until mixed and then pour the melted butter into the dry mixture and stir until small clumps form.
- Once the ice cream has churned, in a freezer safe container, alternate adding ice cream, blueberry sauce, streusel and crushed graham crackers, swirling everything together in between layers.
- Cover and freeze for 6-8 hours before serving.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Ice cream, cheesecake ice cream, blueberry cheesecake, blueberry cheesecake ice cream, homemade ice cream
Leave a Reply