Last year my husband and I took our kids to South Carolina for vacation. To make a long story short, on our way there we got stuck in Dallas, Texas. Our flight was cancelled and we had to stay overnight in Dallas. Luckily for us we had the opportunity to eat at the cutest little breakfast joint not far from the airport. We quickly found that they were famous for their variety of different types of french toast. Our cute waitress told us her very favorite was the Cowboy Crunch flavor which happened to be french toast dipped in crushed up Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
I took one bite and was hooked. It was the best french toast I had ever tasted in my life. It was sweet but not too sweet, it was crunchy, it was cinnamon-y, it was flat out delicious. I knew how easy this recipe would be to create at home so that’s exactly what I did. My son now asks for special french toast nearly every morning, its that good! It doesn’t hurt that this recipe is super easy. Next time you’re in the mood for french toast, try this version instead of the boring old regular version, you will be hooked too!
Tips & Tricks:
- The key to not ruining this french toast is keeping the temperature low. Because of the high sugar content in the cereal, you can very easily burn this french toast. It is best to keep your pan on low while cooking this french toast. It takes a little extra time to get done, but its worth it not to have burnt cereal on your french toast.
- I like to crush up a whole bunch of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and store it in a gallon sized Ziploc bag so that when I want to make this french toast again, I don’t have to go through the process of crushing up more cereal every time.
- You can experiment using all types of different cereal with this recipe. We have tried it with Captain Crunch & Frosted Flakes. Both of which were great but my favorite is hands down Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Cowboy Crunch French Toast
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
The best french toast you will ever have in your life. Think regular french toast coated in crushed up Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. It’s sweet, it’s crunchy and it’s absolutely delicious!
- 8 slices of white bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, crushed
- 4 tbsp butter
- Syrup and fruit for serving
- Set a skillet over low heat and add 1 tbsp of butter to melt.
- Whisk your eggs and cream in a large shallow bowl until smooth.
- If you haven’t done so already, measure about 5-6 cups of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and add it to a gallon sized Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin or the bottom of a drinking glass to crush the cereal into fine crumbs, some small chunks are alright. (Once crushed you should have about 4 cups of cereal).
- Pour the cereal crumbs into a small pie plate or casserole dish.
- Dip the bread, one slice at a time, into the egg mixture on both sides and then into the cereal mixture on both sides pressing down to make sure the cereal coats the bread.
- Add 2 pieces of the cereal coated bread to the pan with melted butter on it and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, checking often to make sure it’s not burning. Remove and repeat this step with the remaining slices of bread, adding an additional tablespoon of butter to the skillet with each new set of french toast.
- Serve hot with syrup, fruit and whipped cream.
Keywords: french toast, cinnamon toast crunch, cowboy crunch french toast, texas food, texas made, breakfast, easy breakfast, yummy breakfast, worlds best french toast
Leave a Reply