This is one of those classic nostalgic recipes that everybody’s mom made growing up and everyone claims that their mom has the best recipe. Well I’m here to tell you that, although I have bias, THIS is the best Poppyseed Chicken recipe. Not only is this recipe absolutely delicious and the epitome of comfort food, it’s super quick and easy. Perfect for that mid-week dinner when you don’t really feel like being in the kitchen all night.
I have to preface by saying that I am normally not one to use canned soup, in fact I’m usually very anti but this is one recipe where I will make an exception. You just can’t match the distinct flavor that it adds to the dish. It also doesn’t hurt that it makes this recipe super simple. I use Cream of Mushroom, but Cream of Chicken works just as good too. I also prefer to use Costco’s prepacked shredded rotisserie chicken for this recipe. I keep 2-3 packages of it in my freezer at all times for meals just like this one, my Creamy Chicken Enchiladas and basically any other meal that calls for shredded chicken.
My version of this classic dish stands above the rest because of the addition of Frosted Flakes (yes I said Frosted) on the top in combination with the Ritz crackers. It adds the perfect amount of unique sweetness that makes this Poppy Seed Chicken the best you will ever have.
Poppy Seed Chicken
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (I like using Costco’s prepacked rotisserie chicken)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 sleeve Ritz crackers roughly crushed
1 cup crushed Frosted Flakes
1 stick salted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 dish with cooking spray.
- Combine soup, sour cream, yogurt, salt, garlic salt, pepper and poppy seeds in a medium sized bowl. Stir until combined.
- Stir shredded chicken into the cream mixture until fully mixed in.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking dish.
- For the topping, combine crushed crackers and cereal in a small bowl and stir in melted butter until crackers and cereal are coated.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the chicken and bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over steamed rice.