Happy Memorial Day! I feel like this weekend is always the perfect kick off for summertime fun and while we remember all those who have fallen for our freedom, we celebrate their bravery and willingness to serve by spending time with our friends and family and eating delicious food. My new Frozen Chocolate Key Lime Pie is the perfect warm weather dessert. Homemade graham cracker crust with a sweet and tart frozen key lime filling topped with a chocolate shell, because everything is better with chocolate.
I’m not kidding when I say this is one of my new favorite desserts of all time, and that’s saying something because I normally hate citrus desserts. I literally wouldn’t touch a citrus flavored dessert up until the last 6 months. I don’t know if my taste buds just changed once I turned 30 or what but for some reason I am coming around when it comes to citrus flavored desserts. I am still having a hard time with orange desserts and lemon but we’ll see if I can become converted.
Tips & Tricks:
- You can most definitely use a pre-made store bought graham cracker crust if you are wanting a shortcut.
- If you don’t want to go through the annoying task of juicing an entire bag of key limes, you can use this brand instead.
- I like to pop my hot crust into the freezer covered in a dish towel so it can cool down faster.
- I made this 10 days before I actually served it and it was incredible, so you can make it several days ahead if needed!
Frozen Chocolate Key Lime Pie
The perfect summertime dessert. A homemade graham cracker crust filled with a frozen, sweet, tart and creamy key lime filling and topped with a Magic Shell chocolate topping. Refreshing and a total hit at your next summer barbecue!
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup key lime juice, fresh squeezed or this one
- 1– 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1– 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3–4 drops green food coloring
- 1/3–1/2 cup Smuckers Magic Chocolate Shell
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch pie pan liberally with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar until butter is fully incorporated.
- Press the crust into the pie pan and bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges have slightly turned golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
- With a hand mixer or in your stand mixer add cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix on medium speed until homogeneous.
- Add your lime juice and food coloring and mix on medium speed until the liquids are fully incorporated.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, using a hand mixer, whisk together cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipping cream into the cream mixture until no more white streaks remain.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust, smoothing it over on top so it has a smooth surface.
- Freeze for a minimum of 8 hours, preferably overnight and up to 1 week.
- When ready to eat, remove from the freeze and pour the Magic Shell chocolate all over the top of the pie. Crumble a graham cracker over the top if desired (like in the pictures).
- Once the chocolate has hardened, use a really sharp knife to cut into slices and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply