For those of you that don?t know, or you’re new here, I grew up with parents and grandparents that own and run a local restaurant chain, Moore?s Family Restaurants (my maiden name is Moore). So cooking is basically in my blood.
I have very distinct memories of my dad making homemade souvlaki, pita bread and lemon rice for family parties or summer BBQ’s . This recipe is inspired by him and has quickly become one of our favorite side dishes and goes great with so many things. We love eating this rice with chicken, steak, gyros, seriously it goes great with anything! And the best part is it’s SO simple!
You?ll notice I use my Instant Pot a lot for my recipes. If you don?t have one, I highly suggest you get yourself one. They are so versatile and I use mine at least a couple times a week. It makes cooking rice such a breeze and is so much faster than a rice cooker.
A few tips for this recipe:
- The turmeric in this recipe is optional but it’s what gives the rice its distinct bright yellow color, without it, your rice will just stay white.
- If you take the lid of your Instant Pot and discover that your rice is a tad under cooked, don’t stress, just add about 1/2 cup more chicken broth or water, put the lid back on, turn the valve to sealed and cook on low pressure for an additional 2 minutes.
Instant Pot Lemon Rice
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon + 1 lemon reserved
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (I use jasmine) Don’t use instant rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- Add lemon zest, juice of 1 lemon, chicken stock (or water), butter, rice, salt and turmeric to your Instant Pot. Give it a quick stir and then put the lid on and turn the valve to the sealed position
- Set your pressure to LOW. Use the manual button and set it the timer for 13 minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, manually release the remaining pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and add more lemon juice and salt as needed.
Leave a Reply