We leave for Hawaii in t-minus 28 days and I seriously can’t wait. If you’ve been to Maui and have food recommendations, please send them my way! Now speaking of vacation, I am on vacation body mode in my kitchen which means macro friendly recipes for you guys! This super easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is always on my dinner rotation whether I’m counting my macros or not. It’s delicious, full of flavor and really high in protein!
This soup is very versatile, you can omit and add any ingredients you’d like. I’ve added chopped green bell pepper before and in a pinch used ground turkey in the place of the chicken if I don’t have any. If you aren’t counting your macros, I suggest adding the entire block of cream cheese and piling this soup with a fat stack of shredded cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips. Or if you’re like me, and are watching what you eat, topping it with chopped cilantro only, is still delicious.
Tips & Tricks:
- If you are in a rush, you can make this on the stove top in a large stock pot. Add all ingredients, minus the cream cheese and cilantro and bring to a low boil over medium heat and then add cream cheese and stir it in until melted.
- I always use Costco’s packaged pre-shredded rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It makes it so much easier!
- You can use 4 cups of chicken stock in place of the water and bouillon cubes if you don’t have them.
Macro Friendly Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 23 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded and chopped fine
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans Original Rotel tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced small
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp Everything But The Elote Seasoning (Trader Joes), omit if unable to find.
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped fine
- Add all ingredients with the exception of cilantro and cream cheese to a crock pot.
- Stir it all together and put the lid on.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- 30-40 minutes before serving, add cream cheese.
- After 30-40 minutes, stir the soup until the cream cheese is fully melted and mixed in.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with chopped cilantro.
Macros for 1 serving (1 serving= 454 grams):
Calories: 296 Fat: 9.7, Carbs: 19.8, Protein: 30.4
Leave a Reply