I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys, I can’t even stand it! Ice cream is one of my very favorite things to make! I think a lot of people stray from making homemade ice cream because for some reason or another it feels intimidating to them but I promise you, it is actually very easy. The hardest part is purchasing an ice cream maker. This is the ice cream maker I own and you can get it at Macys. It is an investment but totally worth it. Nothing beats homemade ice cream!
Peach season is in full swing and if you’ve been here for awhile, you know that I have a major obsession with peaches. They are hands down my favorite fruit of all time. I go through a half bushel almost weekly during peach season. This year I knew I wanted to create a homemade peach ice cream. Initially my thought was to do a Peach Biscoff Ice Cream but then I remembered how amazing Graham Central Station is from Handels with the graham cracker swirl, so I decided to do a Peach Pie Ice Cream so I could incorporate some sort of graham cracker element.
This ice cream starts with a custard base that consists of cream, half and half, sugar, egg yolks and a whole bunch of pureed peaches. After making the peach base and allowing it to cool in the fridge for 24 hours, I made a graham cracker butter to swirl throughout the ice cream. The graham cracker butter consists of graham crackers, water, honey, butter and a little bit of salt. It is out of this world! After chilling the base I added it to my ice cream maker to churn. When the peach custard base had 5 minutes left of churning, I added 1 finely diced peach for more peach flavor, 5 sheets of graham crackers and about a cup of graham cracker butter. And YOU GUYS it turned out better than I could have even imagined. It just might be my favorite homemade ice cream recipe yet!
Tips & Tricks:
- Make sure that 24 hours before you make the ice cream, you put your ice cream bowl from your ice cream maker into the freezer (if that’s the type of ice cream maker you have)
- For the chopped peach that you add at the very end of the churning process, make sure that you dice it really really small otherwise the chunks will be too big and become too frozen during the final freezing process.
- The ice cream freezes really firm so when you want to eat it, take it out of the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to eat it so it can soften just a tad.
Peach Pie Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
Peach Pie meets ice cream. Peach custard base swirled with a graham cracker butter, fresh peaches and chunks of graham cracker cookies.
For the ice cream base:
- 3 medium sized peaches
- 1/4 cup sugar + 3/4 cup reserved
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
For the graham cracker butter:
- 13 sheets of graham crackers
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 medium sized peach, diced really small
- 5 sheets of graham crackers, broken into small pieces
For the ice cream base:
- Place chopped peaches in a medium sized bowl. Add ¼ cup sugar and stir. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- In a small sauce pan heat cream, half and half, 3/4 cups sugar and salt over medium heat. Do not let the mixture boil. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring often until the sugar dissolves.
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolks until they are light and lemony in color.
- After 5 minutes remove 1/2 cup of the cream mixture and stir it into the egg yolks to temper them and then pour the mixture back into the sauce pan with the rest of the cream mixture.
- Cook this mixture over medium/low heat for 7-9 minutes, stirring often until it thickens up slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let this mixture boil.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, after your peaches have sat in the sugar for 1 hour, add them to a blender and puree them.
- Add the peach puree to the ice cream base. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
For the graham cracker butter (recipe slightly adapted from Cake by Courtney):
- In a food processor or blender, combine the graham crackers and cinnamon. Pulse until the crackers resemble the texture of sand.
- Add 1/4 cup water and pulse until the crumbs become “wet.”
- Stream in the butter and honey and continue to pulse, about 30 seconds, until the mixture comes together in a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
To make the ice cream:
- After 24 hours pour the base into your ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes.
- When there are 5 minutes left in the churning process, add your finely chopped peach and 5 sheets of broken graham crackers, continue to churn for 5 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and add it to a large Tupperware dish.
- Swirl the graham cracker butter into the ice cream by stirring it in gently.
- Cover and let freeze for 8 hours minimum.
- Remove ice cream 10 minutes before serving to let it soften slightly.
Keywords: Ice Cream, Peaches, Peach, Peach Ice Cream, Homemade Ice Cream, Homemade Peach Ice Cream, Peach Pie, Homemade Peach Pie, Peach Pie Ice Cream
Leave a Reply