I have a confession. Most of my life I have absolutely hated mint chocolate desserts. I could never understand the hype because to me it was like mixing toothpaste and chocolate. It wasn’t until last year at a family party that I discovered this combo is actually the bomb.com. I find it so interesting how are palates change as we get older. There are so many foods that I absolutely hated growing up that I love now.
Foods that come to mind that I love now but hated for the first 28+ years of my life are dark chocolate, chocolate ice cream, sparkling water, brussel sprouts, oatmeal and pizza. So strange, right? I guess like a lot of things, our palate just gets better with age!
Enter these Rich and Fudgy Mint Oreo Cookies. This is a cookie I wouldn’t have touched with a 10 foot pole up until the last 12 months. But now that my palate has matured, give me all the mint/chocolate desserts! These cookies are a chocolate lovers dream. Full of melted chocolate, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and mint Oreos, they are sure to satisfy your chocolate mint cravings!
The thing that pushes these cookies above and beyond are the mint Oreos. How did I not discover how absolutely freaking delicious these babies are until this last year?! They taste so much like a Thin Mint but you can buy them all year long. They add the perfect amount of minty-ness without being too overwhelming on the mint flavor.
Fair warning about these cookies. They are RICH. They are definitely not lacking in the chocolate department. I love them because they are rich enough that I won’t eat 3 of them in one sitting but are yummy enough that you can eat one and be completely satisfifed!
Rich & Fudgy Mint Oreo Cookies
*Yields 15 large cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 oz high quality chocolate (2/3 cup) melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour spooned and leveled, not scooped
- 1 cup cocoa powder spooned and leveled, not scooped
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Mint Oreos + 1 cup reserved
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugars and the eggs and beat for 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, add vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl add flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- With your mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, mixing until just barely combined and only a few flour streaks remain.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chopped mint Oreos and the chocolate chips, mix on low until barely combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Chill dough in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for 3 hours. Don’t skip this step or your cookies will bake flat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop cookie dough into 3 oz (or 1/3 cup) sized dough balls.
- Use the reserved 1 cup chopped mint Oreos and press a couple pieces into the top of each dough ball.
- Bake 6 cookies at a time on a half sheet pan for 10-12 minutes until edges are crinkled and the center still looks a little bit doughy.
- Remove from the oven and let stand on the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.