Happy Monday ya’ll! It’s been a rough weekend over here. Our sweet little boy has asthma and unfortunately when he has a cold, it goes south really fast. Luckily we were able to keep him out of the emergency room this time and get him the medication he needed for his little lungs to get some good oxygen flow and he’s doing a little better now. The one fortunate thing that came from this weekend was that I was able to get some work done and get some blog posts done, including this one! My new Zucchini Banana Bread. I had a handful of extra zucchinis that I didn’t want to turn into my regular Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread and I just happened to notice some brown bananas that were needing to be used so I guess it was fate that this recipe came together!
I decided to start with a basic banana bread base and then added some zucchini from my garden. To be honest, you can’t taste the zucchini, but who would want to anyway? The zucchini makes the bread extra moist and adds lots of nutrients to the bread, making us feel a little better about eating it! The best part about this bread is the crunchy cinnamon sugar topping. It adds the perfect amount of crunch to each bite!
Tips & Tricks:
- Make sure and use really ripe bananas for this recipe, the riper the better!
- My favorite way to shred zucchini is with a food processor with a shredding attachment, so much easier than shredding with a cheese grater so use one if you have one!
- Don’t skip the step where you squeeze out all the excess moisture out of the zucchini! My favorite way to do so is by putting all the shredded zucchini into the center of a really thin dish towel, then wrapping the towel all around the zucchini and then ringing out all the juices over the sink.
Zucchini Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 70
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 18–22 1x
Zucchini Bread meets Banana Bread, the perfect marriage. A banana bread base loaded with zucchini and topped with a cinnamon sugar crunch.
For the bread:
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add mashed bananas and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Using a cheese cloth or a thin dish towel, squeeze all the excess moisture out of the zucchinis in to the sink. Add the zucchini to the banana mixture and stir to combine.
- In a separate medium sized bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until no flour streaks remain.
- Spray and grease two 9″x5″ loaf pans liberally with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter evenly among the two pans.
- For the cinnamon/sugar crunch, combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar evenly on top of the batter in both pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50-70 minutes or until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the pans.
- Slide a knife around the outside of each loaf and then invert the loaves onto a cooling rack with a sheet pan underneath (to catch the excess sugar)
- Let cool another 10-15 minutes before slicing into.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Keywords: Zucchini Bread, Banana Bread, Zucchini, Banana, Zucchini Banana Bread, Dessert Bread
Leave a Reply